Author Reed Talbot Baines

Reed Talbot Baines Photo
Avg Rating:

Talbot Baines Reed (3 April 1852 – 28 November 1893) son of Charles Reed, and grandson of Andrew Reed, was an English writer who specialised in boys' school stories, the most famous of which were The Fifth Form at St. Dominic’s (1881) and The Adventures of a Three Guinea Watch (1883). Born in Hackney, London, Talbot was the third son of Sir Charles Reed, who served as Member of Parliament for the borough. Talbot Reed's family was also closely involved with the Religious Tract Society, which founded the Boy's Own Paper - a periodical which published all of his stories. Talbot Reed more than any other late 19th century writer was responsible for the ensuing popularity of school stories in British children's fiction. Amongst his non-fiction was his contribution to the history of English printing, A History of the Old English Letter Foundries, published by Faber. A fine memorial to Talbot Baines Reed stands at Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington. It is a tall, imposing celtic cross sculpt


ured by O'Shea from local granite in Kilkenny, Ireland, with detailed scrollwork. Although all of Reed's school stories were first serialised in the Boy's Own Paper, some of them were published in book form, both during and after the author's life, e.g:

+Write review

User Reviews:

Write Review: